This variation on a classic Spanish paella recipe is easier to make and concentrates on the greatest of all ingredientsâ€”chicken!
- Fresh From The Farm Whole Tied Chicken
- 2 1/2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chilis
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup stuffed green olives, quartered (optional)
1Heat broth to just boiling, then stir in saffron; set aside to steep.
2Cut chicken into 10 pieces and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
3In a large deep skillet*, heat oil over medium-high and brown chicken pieces (starting skin side down) on both sides until golden, about 15 minutes; remove and set aside.
4Drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Cook onions, red pepper and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes, scraping up any brown bits.
5Stir in rice; add tomatoes, broth, thyme, bay leaf, chilis and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
6Return chicken pieces to skillet, in single layer, nestling in; reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
7Sprinkle top with peas; cover and continue cooking for about 5 minutes longer or until most of the liquid is absorbed and chicken and rice are cooked.
8Stir in peas, and olives, if using, remove bay leaf and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
To make sure your chicken is cooked through, look for an internal temperature reading of 82° C for a whole chicken and 74° C for ground poultry, chicken pieces & cuts.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on our latest news, information and updates.
You can unsubscribe anytime.