French Toast Sausage Rolls
This fun French toast variation is sweet, salty and sure to satisfy.
- 8 ULTIMATE™ Maple Breakfast Chicken Sausages
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 2% milk
- 4 tsp (20 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter (approx.), divided
- 4 tsp (20 mL) confectioners’ (icing) sugar, for dusting
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup, for serving
1In large cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat, add sausages and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165˚F (74°C). Transfer sausages to medium plate. Wipe skillet with paper towel and reserve skillet.
2Using rolling pin, flatten each bread slice to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Place a sausage on one end of each slice of bread; tightly roll up and secure with toothpick if needed.
3In medium shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
4In reserved skillet set over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter. One at a time, dip sausage rolls into egg mixture and place in skillet. In batches of four, cook, turning, for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned all over, adding butter as needed.
5Remove toothpicks if used. Dust French toast rolls with confectioners’ sugar and serve with maple syrup for dipping.
- Substitute white bread with egg bread or whole-grain bread if preferred.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on our latest news, information and updates.
You can unsubscribe anytime.